History of Palácio dos Condes de Anadia

decorations left 

The Palace of the Counts of Anadia in Mangualde dates back to the 17th century, 1644 to be precise, when Gaspar Paes do Amaral, Captain-Major of Mangualde, created a link with the Chapel that he owned in the village, located in front of the senate and devoted to St. Bernard.
Between 1730 and 1740, his great nephew, Miguel Paes do Amaral, a nobleman of the Royal House, Knight of the Order of Christ and Donee of the village of Abrunhosa, started carrying out large works at the building which were later continued by Simão Paes do Amaral Quifel Barbarino. He died in 1897, a year before the works, that transformed the house with the Chapel into one of the most important baroque palaces in Portugal, were concluded.
At the beginning of the 19th century, the Palace of Mangualde was known as the “House of Paes do Amaral” but it came to be known as the “Palace of Anadia”, due to the marriage of Manuel Paes de Sá do Amaral de Almeida e Vasconcelos Quifel Barbarino, Lord of the House of Paes do Amaral, to D. Maria Luiza de Sá Pereira de Menezes de Melo Sotomaior, 3rd Countess of Anadia.
Various historical figures passed through this Palace, such as Marshal Massena, Prince of Essling commander of the French army who invaded Portugal for the third time in 1819, or King Luiz I, who visited the Palace in 1882 at the opening of the Railway of Beira Alta.
With a remarkable western façade, due to its italianate south façade and the castellated east façade, its masonry work, the 17th-century tiles and works of art by artists such as Pellegrini, Giagenti or Lanzarotto, the Palace of Anadia is one of the most important examples of the 17th century manorial architecture in Portugal. The Palace has an adjacent farm house with gardens and a forest park planted in the 18th century and is classified as a “Building of Public Interest”.

decorations right
Back to top